DirectX Plug-in difficulties - help needed

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Gary Schmitt
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

DirectX Plug-in difficulties - help needed

Post by Gary Schmitt »

donrandall wrote:See if this one gives you the results you want. It is free - yep, it really is FREE - and it works very, very well. It is also a plug-in that works very nicely with Goldwave.

http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=7
Greetings,

I have been trying to use a DirectX plug-n recommended by Don Randall with not much sucess. I have recreated my posts from the General Forum below. I appreciate any assistance I can get in getting this plug-in to work.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

===================================
Don,

First, thanks for the tip. It looks like a very cool plug-in. My follow up question. How do you get it to work. I do understand how to install DirectX plugins and get them registered with Goldwave. My problem is that I get no output and "Division by Zero" errors when trying to use the plug-in. Have you had any similar problems? Any suggestions? I did write Anwida tech support but my expectations are minimal with freeware.

Thanks again, still looking for the perfect verb.

Gary

Follow up:

I updated DirectX on my PC and reinstalled the plug-in. Still no output.

I uninstalled GoldWave and reinstalled an older version (v5.08.), still no output.

I upgraded 5.08 to 5.14, still no output. I get a black screen with no waveform when the plug-in completes. The plug-ing does initialize and come up with a processing screen, but I do not see a progress indicator (I believe that would be the next step). The file I am trying to use this on is a 30 second WAV.

===================================

donrandall
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Post by donrandall »

Gary -

I have never encountered the error message you mention and I have no idea what that is all about, but I betcha it won't be long before someone comes to your rescue. We have some real sharp people around here that are always ready and willing to help.

Since you say that you do know how to install a DirectX plug-in, I will assume that you have done so correctly and that the problem is elsewhere. The error message would seem to support that conclusion.

I am sorry that I am not able to be more help to you!

Gary Schmitt
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

Post by Gary Schmitt »

Don,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I have the plug-in installed and registered with Goldwave. It initializes (wish I could attach screen shots here) and allows me to adjust the parameters. I even get the pop up window that says . . .

"Based on a reduced version of the DX Reverb, the DX Reverb Lite is the ULTIMATE FREE DirectX reverb plug-in.

. . . yada yada yada . . ."

I close out that window and start adjusting the parameters. Sometimes I get the following GoldWave error pop up window . . .

"An exception has occured in the effect plug-in. Contact the plug-in developer to correct the problem or look under "Startup" in GoldWave's Help Index for details."

When I close that window, I get another "GoldWave" error window that says, "Floating point division by zero."

Like I said earlier, I updated DirectX on my PC (XP Home, SP-2), uninstalled and reinstalled both GoldWave and the Plug-in.

IF I can get past these two error messages, the plug-in looks like it is initializing, but I get a solid black window where the waveform should be. If I "Save As" the file, I get a 1KB file with no information (It started as 430KB.). Even if you save it and reopen, you still get the same solid black window. I would be happy to e-mail you (or anyone else) screen shots of the errors and the failed file.

I would love to get this working as it looks like a very cool plug-in and exactly what I have been looking for.

Gary

Gary Schmitt
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

Post by Gary Schmitt »

donrandall wrote:Gary -

I have never encountered the error message you mention and I have no idea what that is all about, but I betcha it won't be long before someone comes to your rescue. We have some real sharp people around here that are always ready and willing to help.

Since you say that you do know how to install a DirectX plug-in, I will assume that you have done so correctly and that the problem is elsewhere. The error message would seem to support that conclusion.

I am sorry that I am not able to be more help to you!
Don,

By the way, can I assume this plug-in works well for you? That would be encouraging.

Gary

donrandall
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Post by donrandall »

Gary -

Yes, the Anwida reverb lite works great for me - no problems of any kind at all and I have been using it for a year or more. It is an extremely high quality product.

I really wish I were smarter and could help you with your difficulty, but it is way beyond my ability!

Gary Schmitt
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

Yahooo! Problem Solved!

Post by Gary Schmitt »

donrandall wrote:Gary -

Yes, the Anwida reverb lite works great for me - no problems of any kind at all and I have been using it for a year or more. It is an extremely high quality product.

I really wish I were smarter and could help you with your difficulty, but it is way beyond my ability!
Yahoo! Problem Solved!

Don,

Been sitting up all night (obviously) trying to figure out why this will not work. After multiple hard drive reformats, operating system reinstalls, and finally switching to Linux, (with a couple of voodoo incantations thrown in), I got Anwida to work. :lol:

(Just kidding on the reformats and such.) 8)

In the process of experimenting, I did however research and find one of those VST Wrapper applets in the process and downloaded all the Kjaerhus plug-ins as well. Now I feel I am quite well equipped, plug-in wise. I must tell you that GoldWave is now instantly twenty times more useful to me.

What, do you ask, was the problem? Anwida really does not like monaural files. I recorded an impulse noise from a mic and figured that since it was a monaural source, I should "save the hard drive space" and record it as a mono file. Anwida really chokes on mono files. Much trial and error went into this solution.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and recommendations. I appreciate your willingness to share.

Sincerely,

Gary A. Schmitt

donrandall
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Post by donrandall »

I am pleased that you were able to make the Anwida plug-in work - I hope you are as impressed with it as I am. I didn't realize that using it in mono mode would be a problem ...... hmmmm..... I'll have to remember that.

In the process of experimenting, I did however research and find one of those VST Wrapper applets in the process and downloaded all the Kjaerhus plug-ins as well.
Hey - how about that! It seems as though you are very well equipped at this point!

I have seen the Kjaerhus stuff and have wondered about it - but since most producers like to receive untouched, virgin audio, most everything I provide is sent dry and unprocessed, I really have no need for more processors. Although, just because it is always fun to have more toys to play with, I may download the freebies they offer - - you know, just for the heck of it.

Which VST wrapper are you using and is it working well with no problems?

Stiiv
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 7:29 pm
Location: Fallentown, PA

Post by Stiiv »

Gentlemen:

There are 2 versions of the free Anwida plug-in...a DX version & a VST version. Forgive a silly question, but are you sure you downloaded the correct one?
Stiiv

Gary Schmitt
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

Post by Gary Schmitt »

donrandall wrote:I am pleased that you were able to make the Anwida plug-in work - I hope you are as impressed with it as I am. I didn't realize that using it in mono mode would be a problem ...... hmmmm..... I'll have to remember that.

In the process of experimenting, I did however research and find one of those VST Wrapper applets in the process and downloaded all the Kjaerhus plug-ins as well.
Hey - how about that! It seems as though you are very well equipped at this point!

I have seen the Kjaerhus stuff and have wondered about it - but since most producers like to receive untouched, virgin audio, most everything I provide is sent dry and unprocessed, I really have no need for more processors. Although, just because it is always fun to have more toys to play with, I may download the freebies they offer - - you know, just for the heck of it.

Which VST wrapper are you using and is it working well with no problems?
Don,

Here is a direct link to the VST Wrapper that I have been using with the Kjaerhus plug-ins. All work seamlessly except for the Auto Filter. It produces strange output, but that plug-in is not very important to what I want to do with GW.

http://www.spinaudio.com/downloads.php? ... load_id=33

The Kjaerhus' reverb is most definately more capable of producing the range of reflections I need to exemplify in my work. It might be a bit complex/non-user friendly for the novice, but it will give you in excess of 20 seconds of RT-60, which is what I was looking for.

I substantially recommend the VST Wrapper. It is simple to install and use (same installation as a DirectX plug-in).

Sincerely,

Gary A. Schmitt

Gary Schmitt
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

Post by Gary Schmitt »

Stiiv wrote:Gentlemen:

There are 2 versions of the free Anwida plug-in...a DX version & a VST version. Forgive a silly question, but are you sure you downloaded the correct one?
Stiiv,

Yep, got the right plug-in or it wouldn't install or start, which it did (DX). The problem I was having revolved around Anwida choking on monaural files. I was trying to simulate typical room decays from an impulse noise (a click). Because the click was recorded using a mic (monaural source) I figured a mono WAV file would do. Each time I tried to process, Anwida would go on vacation. I tried processing a stereo voice recording and to my great surprise, it worked. When I converted the mono impulse click to stereo (using GoldWave) the plug-in worked on it as well. I would like asking you all to try adding reverb to a mono file to see if this is an isolated incident on my PC or is more endemic to Anwida.

Gary

donrandall
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Post by donrandall »

I would like asking you all to try adding reverb to a mono file to see if this is an isolated incident on my PC or is more endemic to Anwida.
Okay - I did try it on a mono file. Nothin'.

Loaded a stereo file, worked great! Hmmmm.....How about that?

donrandall
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Post by donrandall »

Okay Gary - ya tempted me and I gave it. It ain't like I really need it, but you know how it is when it comes to new toys.....

I downloaded the vst to dx wrapper you recommended and then downloaded the Kjaerhus Compressor. I installed each of them, then rebooted the computer and neither showed up in Goldwave. Not under Effect > Plug-In > DirectX. Not under Options > Plug-Ins > DirectX and not under Options > Toolbar > Effects. I dragged the folders for each of them (wrapper and plug-in) and dropped 'em into the Goldwave folder. Still no go.

Oh....wait a minute.....come to think of it, I did find the wrapper under one of the above locations ( I forget which, now ) and when I tried to make something happen, I got a note saying something about the wrapper not being useable for some reason. I rebooted and tried again, but could not duplicate that occurence. I'm baffled. Any suggestions?

It has been a while since I downloaded any plug-ins, and perhaps I missed a step somewhere, but I can't figure it out. It's late. I'm tired. I'm gonna go to bed.

GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin
Posts: 3981
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:43 pm
Location: St. John's, NL
Contact:

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Moving DirectX plug-ins into the GoldWave folder is not necessary, so you may want to move them back to their original installation folders. DirectX plug-ins need to have entries in the Windows registry for GoldWave to find them. If they are not listed under Options | Plug-in | DirectX, then they may not have been registered or installed correctly.

Chris

donrandall
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Post by donrandall »

DirectX plug-ins need to have entries in the Windows registry for GoldWave to find them. If they are not listed under Options | Plug-in | DirectX, then they may not have been registered or installed correctly.
Okay.

Is there anything I can do to find out? Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation?

Gary Schmitt
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

Post by Gary Schmitt »

donrandall wrote:
I would like asking you all to try adding reverb to a mono file to see if this is an isolated incident on my PC or is more endemic to Anwida.
Okay - I did try it on a mono file. Nothin'.

Loaded a stereo file, worked great! Hmmmm.....How about that?
Don,

Thanks for going the extra mile to provide independant verification. That reduces the potential that the problem resided strictly with my system.

Sorry I have been off the board for a few days. Been traveling. Might be scarce the next week also.

Thanks again for all the help.

Gary

Post Reply