Changing speed and/or pitch

GoldWave general discussions and community help
runnerlister

Changing speed and/or pitch

Post by runnerlister »

I am thinking of buying GoldWave. Its spec is highly impressive, BUT I will be using it ONLY for burning CD tracks so that I can change speed without changing pitch and vice versa (or change both pitch and speed), to help with music practice. I presume it will do the job, but do I need a product as complicated as GoldWave?
runnerlister

Post by runnerlister »

Whoops ~ I've just seen the "How do I sleep..." thread. Suppose I should have posted there. If I'd known what it meant. Still like to know if there's a simpler solution though.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Still like to know if there's a simpler solution though.
It should be fairly simple...

Effect -> Time Warp -> FFT will allow you to change the tempo while preserving pitch.

Effect -> Time Warp -> Rate will simply speed-up or slow-down the file (affecting both speed and pitch together, just like if you change the speed of a record or tape).

To alter the pitch without changing the tempo/speed, you can use Effect -> Pitch.
I presume it will do the job, but do I need a product as complicated as GoldWave?
GoldWave isn't really that complicated... for an audio editing program... :twisted: But, audio editing can be complicated. If you are new to it, there are lots of concepts & terminology to learn. GoldWave does have a good user manual & help file, but you might need to look-up some terminology on Wikipedia, or ask questions here.
runnerlister

Post by runnerlister »

Many thanks DougDbug. If I can't find another very basic software tool which will do the job, the GoldWave route sounds easy enough.