Supported sound card?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
dariis

Supported sound card?

Post by dariis »

Can someone please tell me if the sound card Realtek AC'97 has a way of recording the audio directly? I've selected in turn all the sources and none of them work. I suspect I'll need to change the card or get the stereo splitter cable to solve the problem but I want to check with everyone here first. Thanks!
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I've selected in turn all the sources and none of them work.
If none of the inputs work, a cable isn't going to help! :shock:

But, if you're trying to record "What-U-Hear", then yes, sometimes you need a cable. If you need help with that, there is some information in the GoldWave FAQ.

If you have Windows Vista, let us know. The "What-U-Hear" option might be hidden (even if your hardware supports it).

You can also try Options -> Control Properties -> Test -> Troubleshoot. (Maybe something "interesting" will show-up...)

And if none of this helps, please tell us what you are trying to record from, what input you're connected to, etc.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

this is the difference between me and doug, he'll explain some stuff without knowing what OS it is.

me, personally, i can't tell you anything without knowing what OS you're running.

Realtek AC'97 isn't a card, it's a chipset that's used by a card and it's generally used by OEM for onboard sound solutions.

The truth is...ANY card that works in windows is supported by Goldwave, it just depends on specific cards and settings. Your OS version plays a huge role in this. Vista does things drastically different and sometimes non-working sound is simply because someone is running Vista and doesn't know they have to change how they set stuff up.
If you have Windows Vista, let us know. The "What-U-Hear" option might be hidden (even if your hardware supports it).
Generally MOST sound hardware supports "What-U-Hear/Stereo Mix"...some specialized stuff like my Transit USB doesn't, but generally most cards do..and Vista merely hides it, most manfactuers are still including it in the driver setups nor does vista appear to have anything aginst it directly (aside from DRM get-arounds), but it seems as it was "confusing" to have these options on by default because Vista wanted to make it "easier" for people to use audio input devices.
dariis

Post by dariis »

Dew and Doug, thanks for your help.

My OS is Windows XP. I've been using Win 2000 and the source "Wave Out Mix" on the office desktop and Win 2000 "What You Hear" on the home desktop without this problem so I figured the OS was not at issue since both OSs are the same. But both these sources are not available on this third (XP) system I've been bequeathed.

Is there more info you need?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Strange sound problems with XP lately.

Anyway...the first thing I would suggest is update your drivers. You can get drivers from Realtek here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

This should download thier driver pack for the "AC'97 codec" which will work with your card (it's a unified driver pack).

Having stated yesterday I'm not sure just how different XP SP3 was from prior versions...well, was. I sat down at another PC that's running XP SP3 with the Realtek HD Audio Codec.

The main thing I notice is they've tried the Vista trick to a degree...or at least on the Realtek HD device. Rather than having one Mixer device like before and selecting Playback or Recording volume from XP's volume control...this sucker has HD Audio Input and HD Audio Output, similar to the way Vista does it (except vista goes even further to assign each input and output source it's "own device").

Now, the interesting thing is, on this system, by default, Stereo Mix was disabled...but it's STILL the same procedure as it's always been. Go to Volume Control, click options, click properties, you may have to select RealTek Audio Input (depends on drivers possibly) and the box below will have all the various input devices. As I said, on this Acer I'm sitting in front of (because I decided to run back while writing this reply) it was disabled by default. (and off topic I'll add the 22" widescreen LCD that's connected to this tower is REALLY pretty.)

So I'd suggest AT LEAST checking there to make sure you can enable it, but from what i'm seeing on this XP SP3 machine..Stereo Mix *is* in fact showing up in goldwave's properties for the Realtek HD Audio Input despite it's not "selected" in volume control recording properties (that box apparently just tells windows which ones to show). If you still can't find it, and haven't updated the drivers, do that. If it's not showing up after updating the drivers, come back and let us know and we'll see if we can't figure this out for ya.
dariis

Post by dariis »

Dew, thanks for more information. I updated the drivers and I enabled Stereo Mix--no change.

Since you seem to have success with the Realtek HD Audio Codec, I'll get the latest and install it--WDM_R205.exe.