Suggestion for GW

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Gazelle

Suggestion for GW

Post by Gazelle »

Hey,

Would love to have a built in or pay for plug in to read files from audible.com (need to convert them to MP3 before my player can recognize them)
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

The following should answer your question:

http://www.goldwave.ca/faq.php#audible

Sarge
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

the DMCA notice was merely about the fact that people were circumventing the DRM in Audible formats. it had nothing to do with the fact goldwave isn't allowed to support it.

audible support would HAVE to come from audible itself, and they're not likely to do it so you're not likely to ever see support.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

DewDude420 wrote:the DMCA notice was merely about the fact that people were circumventing the DRM in Audible formats. it had nothing to do with the fact goldwave isn't allowed to support it.

audible support would HAVE to come from audible itself, and they're not likely to do it so you're not likely to ever see support.
Sorry; I probably should have phrased my one sentence answer differently. I understood that wasn't the case (regarding the DMCA); but since the topic of even discussing audible with Chris has not been allowed on here, I always thought audible never wanted GoldWave to have anything to do with them (in terms of using their format). That was more or less the point I was trying to make by providing the link.

Sarge
Gazelle

Post by Gazelle »

I saw screen grabs of GW having you to enter User name and PW. Therefore It must have been supported at one time.

Audible gave me the same DRM runaround, wasn't sure why at one time it did and now it doesn't.

Thanks for the info.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Goldwave uses a Username and PAssword for it's own registration mechanism, it's likely this is what you were seeing.

discussing audible on here with chris isn't the reason...them not wanting anything to do with goldwave isn't the answer.

the main reason you'd get a DMCA takedown notice is because of the circumventing DRM aspect that generally goes along with the audible format. I don't know ANYTHING about it. I've never used it, i don't have any files..all I know is the iPod is the one hardware player that supports it and it's got pretty hefty DRM that people have found ways around....it's talking about these ways around the DRM that is what causes things like takedown notices to happen. they said remove all references to the format becuase that's just how laywers are....I wasn't around back in 04...not only was I not a member of the forum back then but i've really only been majorly active in the last year or so.

think of it like this...if someone is writing a media player and wants to support DVD playback....any dicussions they have about DVD playback is all fine and dandy till they start talking about how to circumvent the encryption technology...which is what one needs to play commerical DVD's. here's generally how it works from my expierence:

a) mentioning one can break the DRM in something but not explaining how is generally ok
b) giving vague details (like "i ran it through a couple of things and out popped this") is generally acceptable
c) telling someone "do this, this and this with this this this and this" is not.
d) giving links to sites that explain how is not
e) even explaining a simple harmless generic tactic but saying "it can be used for this" would constitute a DMCA violation

that's why we've got to be careful in explaining things involving encrypted formats. WMA is an encrypted format at times, but it also has unencrypted uses...and goldwave can open non encrypted windows media files. I'm sure if non encrypted audible files existed...discussing how to use those files in goldwave would be fine..however, you even mention about how to bypass the protection to convert it to another format and THAT'S where you start opening the can of worms.

i mean, to be honest, the DMCA is absolute crap in my opinion, i've gotten several takedown notices over content i've hosted over the years and they've never really acted on them...however, that doesn't mean they won't...ESPICALLY a business.

I can understand chris's position of let's completely not talk about it. Most people don't know the rules of the DMCA game, so rather than trying to explain it, some just choose to make it off limits.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for GW

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

All I can say is that GoldWave was never designed to handle Audible files and never will be. People were using GoldWave to work with Audible files long before I even knew it was possible. I didn't even know the format existed initially.

Hopefully DRM will eventually go away. It is far too easy to defeat. Even iTunes allows you to burn protected songs to an unprotected CD. I don't know why Apple and Audible go through so much trouble to put protection on their files when they do stupid things that make it easy to remove (even without trying, apparently).

Chris