GoldWave v5.61 Beta

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

GoldWave v5.61 Beta

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A couple of things noticed so far: When the Control window is closed (docked), the buttons in the tool bar appear in the wrong order and some overlap and the Status visual in the tool bar is cut off on the right edge of the Main window.

Chris
Gord

Re: GoldWave v5.61 Beta

Post by Gord »

Good news:

On my 64-bit Vista machine, v5.61 will play the MP3 file that v5.60 wouldn't play (11025 Hz, 16 kbps, mono), and it also doesn't show me the "Open from URL..." option.

New issue:

If I launch v5.61 with WASAPI selected and the first file I open is my captcha MP3 sample file

http://members.kingston.net/gdt/audio/captcha.mp3

then when I hit [F3] GoldWave does play the audio but the playback cursor is not visible. If I then open a 44100 Hz WAV file and play it the playback cursor is visible, and if I switch back to the MP3 window (both files are open) and play it the playback cursor is visible now.

If I switch to DirectSound, close and re-open GoldWave, then open captcha.mp3 the playback cursor is visible the first time I play the file.

I discovered this on my 64-bit Vista desktop (HP) but have also replicated it on my 32-bit Vista notebook (Dell).
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Does the elapsed time in the status visual counting up normally or is that showing an unusual time?

Chris
Gord

Post by Gord »

In the Control window, the "Time and Status" display shows "00:00:00.0" the whole time, although there is a flashing green right triangle in place of the solid green square that appears before I hit [F3].
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Gord wrote:In the Control window, the "Time and Status" display shows "00:00:00.0" the whole time, although there is a flashing green right triangle in place of the solid green square that appears before I hit [F3].
Had that happen to me as well (on 5.60 once so I thought it was just a fluke since it didn't happen again). I was able to correct it though by right clicking and changing it to the "Digital Time" and then reverting to "Time and Status".
Gord

Post by Gord »

Sarge wrote:I was able to correct it though by right clicking and changing it to the "Digital Time" and then reverting to "Time and Status".
Thanks for the suggestion, but if I'm using WASAPI and captcha.mp3 is the only file open then switching the format of the time visual does not make a difference: it is always at 00:00:00.0. I should also note that in this state none of the visuals are being updated - the VU Meter and the Left/Right channel visuals (regardless of the actual visual selected) are all inert. They all begin responding if

- I open a regular WAV file, or

- I switch to DirectSound.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I found the problem. It's triggered by a low sampling rate file and shared mode playback, where audio has to be resampled to a higher rate. Essentially the buffer for the visuals couldn't handle the amount of resampled audio generated. As soon as you play a different file with a higher sampling rate (close to the shared mode rate), the buffer is expanded to handle that rate.

Chris