Sound window display issue

GoldWave general discussions and community help
yllekm

Sound window display issue

Post by yllekm »

My son and I have been evaluating Goldwave as a production tool for a home recording project we are working on. We have been using the evaluation version (5.70) for the past several weeks and really like it - we want to buy a license.

However, today we fired it up to playback a few samples (after not using it for about the past week or so) and discovered a nasty problem with the playback display in the Sound window - any part of the waveform that has been played turns into a white block in the Sound window (i.e. the blue background turns white and the played portion of the waveform is no longer visible). Moving the selection handles also creates random, vertical white bars in the Sound window.

We tried rebooting, reinstalling Goldwave, updating our video drivers, toggling the Options/Window Options/Hide persistent playback cursor option (and several other options in this dialogue), toggling several of the Goldwave Setup options, decrementing to Goldwave 5.68, turning off our antivirus/Internet security program, updating DirectX, and restoring our system (Windows 7 64-bit) to various previous restore points, and nothing worked. We have also not recently installed any other software (other than automatic Windows updates, but the system restores we did should have addressed any issues these may have introduced).

We are very discouraged by this because we really like Goldwave and it was working great for us. However, if we can't fix this problem, we will have to consider buying a different digital audio program.

Hope someone here can help us.

Thanks in advance.
DougDbug

Re: Sound window display issue

Post by DougDbug »

This is mostly a user-to-user forum and GoldWave's developer, Chris, doesn't seem to visit here every day.

If you don't get an answer here you can contact Chris directly using the form on this page, and Chris can email back to you.

I've been using GoldWave for many-many years (with all of the free upgrades!) and I've found it to be a rock-solid application. The few times I've contacted Chris he's been very helpful. I've never had better technical support from any other company! So, I hope you can get this sorted-out!

GoldWave doesn't do "everything" and sometimes I have to use a different tool or application. But what it does, it usually does well with no fuss.
yllekm

Post by yllekm »

Many thanks for your response and advice.

We agree that Goldwave is very good and does a lot of the things we want it to do. We were on the verge of buying it and then this bug popped-up. Unfortunately, it's a showstopper for us and unless we can get it solved, we will have to look elsewhere.

We'll give it a day or two to see if another user can help and then contact Chris if necessary.

Best regards.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A few users have recently reported a similar problem. It seems that a recent Windows Update (possibly a NVIDIA driver update) may be the cause. However I have all the latest updates without any problems, so only some systems are affected. Please let me know the brand and model of video hardware in your computer. GoldWave v6 is not affected.

Chris
yllekm

Post by yllekm »

Thanks Chris.

We are using an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Both the NVIDIA WHQL v331.65 and v344.54 drivers produce the same behavior.

Will there be a fix for Goldwave v5 or will we have to wait for Goldwave v6? If the latter, when do you expect to release (or could we get access to the beta)?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

(or could we get access to the beta)?
I'm pretty sure anybody can download the beta from the link on this page.
yllekm

Post by yllekm »

The beta is easily downloaded, but can't be installed without a beta key. There is a message in the installation dialogue that if you don't have a key, you are not authorized to install the beta (and not to contact Goldwave for one - but under the circumstances, maybe Chris will provide us with one?)
Moonmist

Post by Moonmist »

yllekm wrote:The beta is easily downloaded, but can't be installed without a beta key. There is a message in the installation dialogue that if you don't have a key, you are not authorized to install the beta (and not to contact Goldwave for one - but under the circumstances, maybe Chris will provide us with one?)
The beta key is always posted in the forum in the thread for the beta. Here is the link for you:

http://goldwave.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4573

From that thread:
GoldWave Inc. wrote:Installation key required to install the beta version: bt-14

;)
yllekm

Post by yllekm »

Many thanks. Will give it a go tomorrow. :)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

yllekm wrote:Will there be a fix for Goldwave v5 or will we have to wait for Goldwave v6? If the latter, when do you expect to release (or could we get access to the beta)?
There isn't anything that can be fixed in v5. It has been working correctly for years and still works correctly on most systems. The problem lies with NVIDIA (probably in their StretchBlt or BitBlt function). Hopefully they'll sort it out in a future update. Uninstalling the NVIDIA driver and using a generic video driver would probably avoid the problem, but you really don't want to do that.

Chris