New Versions Royally Screwed Up

GoldWave general discussions and community help
KetchupKid

New Versions Royally Screwed Up

Post by KetchupKid »

As with a lot of software, the engineers get bored and start adding a bunch of crap and taking away valuable functions/tools/options, etc. Now GW 6.15 and up (probably even further back) has gigantic pretty girly icons on the toolbars - and no control of them at all other than choosing which tools. Can't slide the overall window in from the right and have it simply cover up tool icons as before. Now it shoves one toolbar on top of another. WHAT A MESS!

Plus when I made the mistake of updating, it TOTALLY WIPED ALL MY SETTINGS, HOTKEYS, TOOLBAR ICON CHOICES, DEFAULT ACTIONS ON TOOLS, etc. Goldwave has gone from the absolute best audio editor I have ever used - to a piece of crap.

So I am going to try to find the last good version - probably back into the v5.?? to get back when it was good. I uninstalled everything and went back to 6.15 and it stinks also. Can anyone help me determine which older version to use before they started screwing everything up?

Any help is appreciated. I am a long-time user, paid/registered - probably 5 to 7 years at least. I will stop getting updates once I find a good older version.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: New Versions Royally Screwed Up

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

No one is forcing you to upgrade. You can see from the screenshots what v6 looks like before installing it. The older version (v5.70) is available on the download page.

Installing v6 absolutely does not wipe all your settings. GoldWave v6 includes many significant changes (64 bit, multichannel support, themes, etc.). Unfortunately settings cannot be carried over automatically from v5 to v6. You'll need use GoldWave Setup from the Windows Start menu and choose the "Transfer..." button.

You can use Options | Toolbar to hide toolbars, remove captions, and remove buttons you think are too "pretty girly" for you. The world is changing. Higher resolutions and touch screens require larger icons. Sorry you think that is uncool.

According to my records, you've been getting free upgrades for almost 14 years! Pity you post such hate despite the huge improvements made to the program over that long time, which you've benefited from at no cost. If you are happy with the older version, please continue to use it. If you don't like change, don't upgrade. It cost you nothing either way. Abusive rants are unnecessary and accomplish nothing.
KetchupKid

Post by KetchupKid »

Sorry ... and thanks.

I am back to using 5.7 now. I was up to v6.15 and when applying update 6.19, that's when the settings were wiped out - never happened before. Restoring settings didn't work because the XML file it was looking for was nowhere to be found after installing 6.19.

Some apps, when they go to the larger icons, make it a user option for icon size. In my home computer screen area I allow for using Goldwave, all my chosen tools, effects, etc., don't fit on one row any more with the new icons.

I wouldn't have any audio edit app, other than Goldwave and I have referred many friends to it over the years. I'll be happy with the older version.
GAS55

Post by GAS55 »

Go Chris!!
I would have gone a bit further with that one.
It's the modern thinking, blame every thing or every one else for his own inadequacies.
Never, ever had problems with GW.
Greg