GW crashes entire system v6.52/Win10/XeonCPU/NvidiaK4000

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Gnq

GW crashes entire system v6.52/Win10/XeonCPU/NvidiaK4000

Post by Gnq »

After updating my PC to a Workstation-type setup, my fresh install of Goldwave takes the entire system down in a flash while I'm interacting with its interface (e.g. clicking a tool, scrolling a displayed sound file). The event is so sudden, Windows doesn't have the chance to record any preceding event. A crash will inevitably occur within the first minute or so of running GW. The common denominator seems to be a sound file displayed in the window at the same time as interacting with a mouse pointer (click or drag) on the interface.

I updated the display adapter driver, but it made no difference. I also asked Windows to run GW in a Win8 compatibility mode, but still no difference.

I have not been able to repeat the crashes in either a Win10 virtual machine running the latest GW, or a WinXP(32bit) VM running GW5.

This feels like a bug or incompatibility with the Xeon processor or Nvidia graphics adapter. Any ideas?

I am a long-time registered user of Goldwave.

Thanks

Gnq
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: GW crashes entire system v6.52/Win10/XeonCPU/NvidiaK4000

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It is most likely a hardware/driver issue. There is no way a program can cause that kind of a shutdown without a major underlying problem in the system.

What sound driver is selected in GoldWave (Options | Control Properties, Device tab)? If it is Realtek, be sure to get an updated sound driver.

In GoldWave make sure waveform gradients are turned off (Options | Colour). Some display drivers do not handle that well.

Other than that, try using various other programs to see if any similar shutdowns occur (such as image editors, video editors, etc.).
Gnq

Post by Gnq »

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I have to report that I am still having the same problem. Can you think where I might look for the cause?

The situation is that my PC does have once-in-a-while catastrophic complete sudden crashes. This occurs about once a month - so it is quite rare. In fact so rare that it's not bothering me too much. Although a couple of weeks ago I was using Microsoft Edge when the wipeout occurred twice in one day. That's unusual. Mostly I use Chrome.

But, if I use Goldwave, a wipeout is inevitable when I have a sound file loaded and manipulate the wave display, especially if I zoom vertically. This seems to be graphics-related, not audio. There is some call on the graphics system that Goldwave makes that I cannot repeat with any other software.

If you have any thoughts at all, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Gnq
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I think you'd be better off looking on Tom's Hardware for an answer. I've run Goldwave on Intel and AMD machines with dedicated and integrated graphics and never had a GW-related system crash.

Right now, I'm running GW 6.54 on Win10 with a 10th-gen Intel Core i7 processor and integrated graphics. I run my computer 70hrs/wk, but I would consider a monthly system crash frequent, regardless of ostensible cause. I'd check for something deeper than a program issue.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
Gnq

Post by Gnq »

Thanks Tristan. I think you are right. This is indicative of a deeper hardware issue. Because Goldwave alone is the only way I can guarantee causing the 'wipeout', I had hoped that the route to understanding was to understand Goldwave's calls on the system when its wave graphic window is scrolled left/right or up/down. When I scroll this wave graphic, within a quarter of a second (tellingly, not instantly), my system always totally wipes out. If I don't run Goldwave, the wipeouts still occur, but only at a rate of about once a month at random with the machine in use 24/7.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Sorry about your problem; that sucks. :(
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
65CJ5

Post by 65CJ5 »

Gnq wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:22 pm
The situation is that my PC does have once-in-a-while catastrophic complete sudden crashes. This occurs about once a month - so it is quite rare.
Gnq
Gnq, that should not be happening at all! "Once a month" is not rare. That's a definite problem. I'm not sure how you'd track that down other than looking at the various event logs and if you see anything in those to do a web search on them.
Gnq

Post by Gnq »

Hi. I (almost entirely) resolved this issue with new hardware - I replaced boot/C drive SSD. My system is now very stable. I say 'almost' because just once in the past 6 months, as if a nostalgic reminder, my system wiped out while interacting with Goldwave's graphic display. Strange, but no longer an issue of concern. Thanks for the help.
GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:53 pm
It is most likely a hardware/driver issue. There is no way a program can cause that kind of a shutdown without a major underlying problem in the system.

What sound driver is selected in GoldWave (Options | Control Properties, Device tab)? If it is Realtek, be sure to get an updated sound driver.

In GoldWave make sure waveform gradients are turned off (Options | Colour). Some display drivers do not handle that well.

Other than that, try using various other programs to see if any similar shutdowns occur (such as image editors, video editors, etc.).