can't use ffmpeg/libav decoders

GoldWave general discussions and community help
raygrote

can't use ffmpeg/libav decoders

Post by raygrote »

Hi,
I just found out that Gold Wave can optionally use ffmpeg/libav decoders. I'd like to set this up but am having trouble doing so. I downloaded a copy of ffmpeg a while ago, can't remember where but it included a bunch of files such as avcodec-58.dll, avdevice-58.dll, avfilter-7.dll and others. I pointed Gold Wave to this folder, but it says that ffmpeg/libav modules cannot be found in the given folder. I also tried it with the Audacity ffmpeg libraries which are older but with similar-looking filenames, with no success. So, any idea what's going on here? What files do I need?
DougDbug

Re: can't use ffmpeg/libav decoders

Post by DougDbug »

See http://www.goldwave.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?p=22547 for some instructions for getting FFmpeg by installing VideoMeld (the last entry by GoldWave). (I assume the FFmpeg files continue to work if you don't buy VideoMeld.)

The FFmpeg libraries for Audacity are 32-bit so they won't work. That version also has some tweaks to integrate it with Audacity but I don't think that prevents it from being used with other software. Personally, when I run-into a format I can't open in GoldWave I'll just use Audacity or convert to WAV or FLAC with Audacity or another utility.