Questions/Comments: Copy Section, Font Effect, Overlay

VideoMeld discussions and community help
Joe Giaquinto

Questions/Comments: Copy Section, Font Effect, Overlay

Post by Joe Giaquinto »

Questions:
1. Any way to copy/export a section (such as the caption or image with the special effects) to another project?
2. Is it possible to use special effects on just the text in a caption (such as font color changes?) Applying effects to the captions only changes the video layer and not the font/text itself.
3. When should I use an overlay? Is it different from just using another track?
(If these were asked before, sorry to repeat the questions here.)

Comments:

I find when dragging images or caption sections around the tracks that the cursor often pops on the line below the track I wish to place the item at. For example, if I am moving a caption from track 3 to track 2, I have to put the cursor over track 3 and when I let go of the mouse, it will land on track 2. This happens at only certain zoom settings.

Another odd behavior is that when I copy and paste a section, there doesn't appear to be any certainty as to where the pasted section will end up. So if I select track 3, the section may show up at the end of track 3 or the beginning of track 2 (and often will bump another section forward or backward to make room for it - which means I have to go and fix the section that is now out of place.) Maybe there's a recommended way to move and paste sections?

These behaviors didn't occur on earlier software builds.

Thanks so much for all the help and continued success on all your products.

The movie projects are going great.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Questions/Comments: Copy Section, Font Effect, Overlay

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can use Edit | Copy to copy the selected sections, then open another project and use Edit | Paste to paste them in that project.

If you are using a Caption section, then effects you add to that section will be applied to the text. You can add a Hue effect to change the font colour, for example.

Overlays are mostly used for adding overlay effects that do not require an image or video. You can use overlays to add borders and shapes, etc. to the overall video.

There was a problem with dragging sections between tracks, but that should be fixed in the latest update.
Joe Giaquinto

Post by Joe Giaquinto »

Thanks for the quick response and help on my questions. Couple of things...

You can use Edit | Copy to copy the selected sections, then open another project and use Edit | Paste to paste them in that project. Here's what I'm experiencing... If I open project #1 and copy section #1 and then go to File Explorer and double-click on project #2 and open it, or I go to Start->Programs->VideoMeld and open the second project that way, Copy->Paste is grayed out. It seems that copy and paste between two instances of the app doesn't work. In other words, I can't copy sections between two open projects at the same time. (I've used GoldWave and always found this same behavior.) The solution I found is to open project #1, copy the section, then go to File->Open and open project #2 in the same instance of the VideoMeld app (which will require I close the first project because only one project can be open at a time.) Then I can paste. Is there another way to do this?

If you are using a Caption section, then effects you add to that section will be applied to the text. You can add a Hue effect to change the font colour, for example. Changing the hue changes everything running at that moment including the background image or video. I'm probably applying the effect incorrectly. Will have to experiment further with it...
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Currently you can only use Copy/Paste within the same instance of VideoMeld. Performance tends to drop significantly when more than one instance of VideoMeld is running.

If you use Track | Add Caption to add the text, then effects apply only to the caption. If you add a Text effect to an existing section (video), then effect are applied to the text and video.