Is there a way to reduce playback speed?

VideoMeld discussions and community help
user_user

Is there a way to reduce playback speed?

Post by user_user »

Hi all,

Brand new to VideoMeld, sorry if this is a noob question but I can't figure it out. While editing, I'm trying to sync up video transitions with the beat of a song. It would be much easier to nail these transitions if I could slow down playback while editing, but I can't seem to find a way to do so. Is there a way to slow down playback?
2leftfeet

Re: Is there a way to reduce playback speed?

Post by 2leftfeet »

If the video transitions are at a fixed rate, you might be able to use Goldwave's speed change function. Make a copy of the audio and make the change and then replace the audio in your project. It might take some time to get this right though.
You could also try splitting the video and adjusting the video clips to fit the audio. If you do this, remember to pin the fininshed sections together as you go. Keep saving the project often in case of crashes!This mght be a better alternative although it will take plenty of time to work through.
Before you try anything, Chris suggested the following which is important :-
The key is to use the "Decode Audio To Wave File..." feature.
Step by step it works like this:
1. Load the video (with audio) file you would like to edit by clicking on the "Track" drop down then "Add Video..." Find your file and load it in.
2. Before you do anything else click the "Options" drop down and select "Section Settings..." In the resulting pop up the second line has a gray box containing "Decode Audio To Wave File..." Click on it.
3. This gives you a "Save As" pop up. From what I can tell you will never use this file but I guess VideoMeld needs it. You may delete it after you are through editing. Click "Save" and VideoMeld does the conversion and then automatically replaces the audio track with the converted data.
4. Click "OK." Note that some times this gives and error message: "'To' time cannot be beyond the length of the file." I've been able to get around this by clicking the "All" button to the right of the "to " time. That time changes and when I click "OK" a second time it completes successfully.
And there you are. As Chris explains it the .wav data has a constant bit rate and stays synchronized with the video. Do your editing and it seems you may save the result in whatever format you choose. I've tried .mp4 and .wmv and the audio stayed in sync on both. I thought the video was slightly better in .wmv but it probably depends on your other settings.

This worked for me. If your video files are just images, maybe try Proshow Gold. I've used that for slide shows and it is brilliant. Give it a go, good luck.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to reduce playback speed?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can use Options | Section Settings to change the "Speed" of each section.