spectrum frequency editor

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
mrfrisky330

spectrum frequency editor

Post by mrfrisky330 »

The spectrum analyser is very nice but why can't I right click on the frequency I want and select "filter out"?? Would save all that ugly messing about with the parametric eq...

After all its not rocket science to have a frequcency editor the Fairlight CMI had it in 1976...

So why is its nobody has done it in software since??? Imagine being able to remove those pesky sibliance hisses that avoid the filters and noise gates, and have the ability to improve the sound quality of a sample by editing its fequency map to augment only the frequencies you want rather than a generic band??
DewDude420

Re: spectrum frequency editor

Post by DewDude420 »

For starters, the Fairlight CMI did not have a "frequency editor", it mostly took a sample of recorded sound and modified it's pitch according to the key pressed. There are lots of other technicals in there, but I'm not 100% sure just how they worked. I've never dug deep enough in to them...however I considered picking one up just for the retro-tech aspect (plus it'd be a good project to do a repair on).

As far as frequency editor.... I think I know what you're talking about...at least to a degree. You want something where you can select the area of frequencies and just remove them. This...I'm not sure if it has a technical name...but I generally call it frequency space editing.

As far as no one doing it in software...as much as I love/hate to talk about the knowledge of other programs I've got...Adobe Audition offers this exact feature in it's editor...so it's not that no one is doing it, but it's just in expensive software.

I'm sure there's a very good reason Chris hasn't implemented this...from amount of time to the amount of problems it can cause.

What i will tell you about sibilance is that it's often not as easy as just "deleting" frequencies...at least not with the sibilance I deal with on vinyl.