How can a new setting in Spectrum Filter be Saved?

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
DrBob

How can a new setting in Spectrum Filter be Saved?

Post by DrBob »

As far as I can see, there is no way to save anything you change in the Spectrum Filter Window to apply it to the chosen audio file.

To reproduce my delima, select an audio file, open the Spectrum Filter, set FFT Size to 14, type in a new preset "FFT 14" and hit the green + sign beside the new name to save the name as a new preset.

I want to see the Spectrum with FFT Size = 14 in the Control Window, so I figure I'd better click on Apply before I leave. But the Apply button is grayed out. The OK button is available, but when I choose that, the window closes without applying the new Preset to the audio file.

You can check the preset was not applied by running the file (green Arrow) in the Control Window and seeing the increased resolution is not there - or -by reopening Spectrum Filter and noting the FFT size is back at the default value of 10.

What is the secret to save changes in the Spectrum Filter window - or is the application not intended (unlikely) or broken?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: How can a new setting in Spectrum Filter be Saved?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You'd enter "Default" as the preset name.

The "FFT size" setting affects only the effect window graph. It has no affect on the Control Window visuals. Visuals are fixed at 12 bit resolution.

Chris
DrBob

Re: How can a new setting in Spectrum Filter be Saved?

Post by DrBob »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the replies on 3 messages.

Hitting "Default" as the preset name does save the FFT Size (e.g. 15) as the default within the Spectrum Filter window, but does not effect the Spectrum visual in the Control Window - which is what I REALLY want to do. With the Spectrum Filter window open, one is blocked from doing a lot of other things - like opening, closing and trimming files.

You have done an amazing job of letting us see how much better the spectrum can be resolved by increasing the number of steps in the FFT. Many of us have very fast computers these days, that should be able to easily compute a high resolution FFT in "real time". I am just hoping that you can cause that great hi rez display in the Spectrum Filter window to display as a Spectrum in the Control Panel.

12 bits of visual display would be 4096 levels and that is more pixels than I have vertically or horizontally on my monitor, so I guess it is a problem with displaying the logarithmic nature of the spectrum. :)

Anyway, it would Really be Great if you can do something about it.

This is a fantastic program. Where do I send my research contribution? :wink: