future idea - WAV distortion analysis

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
corybantic

future idea - WAV distortion analysis

Post by corybantic »

I have an idea for a possible future GoldWave function - calculating the distortion of the WAV.

I noticed that by storing the edited WAV internally in 32-bit floating point format, peaks that exceed the 0 dB threshold (due to volume changes, etc.) are not truncated to 0 dB until you actually save the WAV file to disk.

I do a lot of level equalization from WAVs ripped from CDs, and many older CDs have a low overall volume with some peaks close to the 0 dB mark. It would be nice to see how much distortion has been introduced when I bring the RMS level up to -16 or -12.

There must be a way of calculating total distortion based on the difference between the current WAV and the same WAV with all > 0 dB peaks truncated to 0 dB. Also maybe there's a way to generate a report of where in the WAV the distortion is worst, and where there is little or none.

Anyway, just a thought I had. For version 6.0? :)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: future idea - WAV distortion analysis

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

An effect plug-in could be created to do that kind of analysis, but I'm not aware of anyone working on anything like that right now. It is a welcome idea though.

Chris
audibell

Counting clips and thresholds

Post by audibell »

There is/was a free VST called Inspector <http://www.RogerNicholsDigital.com > which collects data in realtime based upon parameters you select. It counts L and R clips, and overs and does pretty much what you're asking for.